It never ceases to amaze me the reaction I get when I tell some people, the healthy substitues I use in my cooking and baking. The reaction (I mention the sub for an ingredient), is ‘weird’, ‘ tasteless’ , boring’, and the list goes.
Let me just clarify, food subs are not boring or tasteless. In my experience I have found some foods more tastier/more delicious than the ‘original’, it makes me wish I had discovered this sooner. I will be honest sometimes it doesn’t always work, so I try another sub, as the saying goes you never know until you try. Put another way its a case of trial and error.
There are quite a vast number of substitues, I have listed the popular ones below. Personally I keep discovering new ones all the time. Think of the substitues as a journey of discovery or a new adventure for your taste buds.
- white rice replace with brown rice/ courgetti or cauliflower rice
- white flour replace with wholemeal/buckwheat/spelt/rice
- white pasta replace with wholemeal pasta
- double/sour/single cream replace with natural/Greek low fat yoghurt or low fat creme frais
- butter or oil in baking replace with applesauce (shop bought or homemade) or natural Greek yoghurt.
- potatoes replace with sweet potatoes, butternut squash
- spagetti replace with courgette/butternut noodles
- streaky bacon replace with back bacon
- water for sugary drinks, add lemon or fruits such as strawberries if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
- fizzy drinks with soda water, add fruits or pure juice
If you want to snack without filling guility try this healthy option
Chopped vegetables and lower-fat hummus
Handful of raisins; sultanas. instead of chocolates or biscuits. You can still get your sugar fix but in moderation.
Handful of unsalted nuts – rich in fiber and a wide range of nutrients
Sugar free jelly – for a guilt free dessert
Plain rice cakes or crackers with hummus or natural nut butter
natural low fat yoghurt with chopped fruits
Bonus – healthy way to cook; use spray oil or dry fry using a good quality non stick frying pan.
As I mentioned earlier the ‘list’ is endless, you will discover your own alternatives as you go along. I hope you enjoy trying out the subs, like I said its a journey of discovery, keep experimenting with other foods.